WEN is not a company that is new in the business of lighting up homes. Ever since 1951, this company has been making generators which have helped several homes. Generators are generally very useful equipment. They come in handy when the lights in your house kick out maybe due to some weather phenomenon that affects the electric wiring.
They are used in schools to keep the students reading even after the normal electricity fails. Generators are also widely used in hospitals to keep patients alive because electricity can be unreliable at times and is such times, nothing is more important than gasoline-powered generators. WEN has been making generators for a long time and the WEN 56475 is one of their latest product. The question on the table is, is it any good? The following is a product review to answer just that question.
- It has several types of receptacles to give it connectivity to a larger array of products. It has two 120V receptacles which are the standard type for the regular household. It has a 30Amp tri-pronged receptacle and a 120 RV receptacle. The receptacles increase the number of devices that this generator can connect to.
- It offers the convenience of a keyless start. The generator is started with the simple click of a button. You no longer have to pull a cord or turn a key to start up this generator making it easy and user-friendly.
- It has a 233c OHV engine that has the capacity to produce up to 4750 Watts of peak power ad regulated power is at 3750 watts. This is enough to run all of your house appliances including your TV, Fridge, and microwave and still manage to keep all of the lights on in your house. A real tool to have.
- The WEN 56575 has also been specifically tailored for use outdoors. It has been modeled in such a way that it can be used to provide electricity in camps and forests. It has a spark arrestor which is necessary for any generator that is to be used in a national park or a forest. The spark arrestor prevents forest fires that could be caused by sparks from the generator.
- Safety is a large priority with this particular generator. It has an automatic voltage regulator to protect all of your devices by providing clean, lean power to your electronics. It has overload protection that protects the generator itself from excessive voltage. It also has an automated low-oil shutdown that switches off the generator when the oil in it is below a certain amount. What all this translates to is that you have a device that protects both itself and your electrical devices at all costs.
- WEN has made sure that this device is highly portable. For this, it comes equipped with a wheel kit and dual handles. It is even safe as you transport it.
- The device is quite loud when operating it. If you use it in your neighborhood while the lights are out and the streets are silent, it will cause quite the racket. Also out in the woods while camping you will have to switch it off before you sleep because the noise it makes is unerring.
- It does not have a display that indicates the wattage output.
- The hour meter is difficult to understand, it seems to be a simple timer instead of a cumulative timer which pegs its quality down a notch.
- You will need to buy a transfer switch when you buy this unit because of the output and this is an extra cost on you as a buyer.
- It consumes a considerable amount of gasoline. It would be best if you purchased a propane kit instead.
- You also need to ground this unit steadily and a grounding rod will cost you upwards of $12. This is another extra cost that you have to incur.
To begin with, the device is sent to you in a very secure package and most customers report to be quite happy with the packaging. It comes in a box with plenty of Styrofoam to make sure the generator is as secure as it could possibly be. The parts come separately; that is the engine, wheel kit, handlebars, the oil, battery, and the three separate plugs. Clear guidelines are placed with each package on how to put together the generator and the bolts and nuts also come with the package. Additionally, you get an oil funnel which is useful when funneling oil into the generator. It comes with several accessories and it should take the average person about 20 minutes to put it all together.
It has a compact design that is secured with the handlebars all around it. It also has wheels for portability and the handlebars are placed at the best possible location to make portability a breeze. The handlebars are also foldable to increase convenience. It has a digital readout to help you keep up with maintenance schedules such as oil changes and service schedules.
The generator also meets all the CARB and EPA III regulations in all the 50 states of the US making it both safe and environmentally friendly.
From all people who have used this generator, there seems to be one consensus, the generator is quite powerful. So powerful that you need to buy a decent transfer switch because it will blow out a cheap or regular one. With an impressive 4750 watts at full power and 3750 when regulated, this device is powerful enough to power an entire household only excluding the central AC unit which demands too much power even on a regular day.
The power comes at the cost of gasoline meaning this unit is quite a gas guzzler. It is much cheaper to get the propane kit and run it on propane. It might have slightly reduced power but that is still enough power for your entire household.
The WEN generator is one of the most powerful generators of its range and is definitely worth buying. Remember that no generator or internal combustion unit, for that matter, can run inside a house or garage because the ventilation is simply not enough. Buy a grounding rod and lock it firmly somewhere in your backyard. The statistics of people dying because of ignoring this information are worrying.